The school year has just begun. Some of us are just beginning our design journey at ID, while others are almost finished. Since so much of what we design here has contextual implications, it is important for students to be aware of events around the world in order to create relevant designs.
We have highlighted some recent and upcoming events for the remainder of 2008 and some of 2009 for your reference.
2008, International Year of Languages and the Year of the Potato
- Beijing Summer Olympics. From the extravagantly beautiful opening ceremony to Michael Phelps’ amazing feat, the Olympics were very eventful.
- Hurricane Gustav – hits Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico coasts. Spares much of New Orleans. Amy’s family is okay!!
- 21 foundation, 67 MDes, 41 MDM, and 11 Ph.D students start a new school year at ID.
- Presidential election – Barak Obama vs. John McCain. Link: www.rockthevote.com. Must register by October 10, 2008
2009, International Year of Astronomy
- Ireland bans incandescent light bulbs, everyone must use energy-efficient bulbs
- Slovakia adopts the Euro
- NHL World Classic held at Wrigley Field
- Newly minted U.S. Quarters for Washington DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands begin rolling out.
- Analog TV ends, everyone to switch to digital
- Burj Dubai will be completed in Dubai, UAE. It is the tallest man-made structure on Earth.
- 2016 Summer Olympic host city is chosen – GO Chicago!
- Australia bans incandescent light bulbs
- Amy graduates! (among other MDes candidates)
- Kate has another year! (along with many MDes-ers)
Happy school year and happy teaming!
Amy & Kate